Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Not to Brag, But...

Kedougou is beautiful. It's the only place in Senegal that has any sort of elevation (I say "sort" - the word for "hill" in Jaxanke is the same word as "mountain," just to give you an idea). There's also trees, gardens, a river, and waterfalls. We've been told that we're not allowed to brag to volunteers in other regions. I have spent a few days at the Peace Corps regional house in the region's capital (also called Kedougou) before being installed in my village.

After unloading from a 12 hour car ride from Thies, I hopped on my bike with a few current volunteers to go swimming in the Gambia River. Words can't describe how beautiful this feels in 117 degree weather (and we're just at the beginning of hot season!). As night began to fall, some kids started yelling for us to get out. It was the hour when hippos usually appear. Hippos! The most dangerous animal known to man, followed closely by donkeys - apparently their kicks are deadly, though I feel that their braying could also inspire a heart attack.

The next days were spent in the market buying my hut-hold items - a bamboo bed, a butt kettle (the Senegalese form of toilet paper), but the thing I'm most excited about is my extra sleeping mat (hint, hint).

My host family in Mbour is among the founding family of Kedougou, so yesterday was dedicated to greeting the whole family, including the family of my namesake (Nyakhalin) who was my mom's best friend, now deceased. Because she is my namesake, I assume the same relationships with her family members. For example, when I was introduced to her son, he was introduced as "my son." Odd meeting "my" 17 year old son.

Tomorrow is my install day. I will move to Diakhaba where I am supposed to stay put for five weeks. A glorious five weeks! where I can unpack and try to feel at home, as much as possible.

 Fo naato, inshallah!
(Talk to you later, God willing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment