Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Now the Adventure Begins...

On Friday, May 11, at approximately 10am, I will swear in as a United States Peace Corps Volunteer. I will swear to defend the U.S. Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic. This is something I've waited seven years to achieve. (Or is this all just a mefloquine dream?)

I somehow passed my last Jaxanke language exam. It sounded something like this:

Teacher: Why did you join the Peace Corps?

Me: (sweating because it was 104 degrees, not to mention my Jaxanke level is only so-so, as you'll soon see) I liked to come to Peace Corps because a heart I have!

T: I see. How is your life different here than in America?

M: Life is different! (This seemed important to say.) In America, my name is Chrissie Faupel. In Senegal, my name is Nyakhalin Mar. In America, a bike I have. In Senegal, a bike I don't have yet. (I sit back, pleased with this answer.)

T: Ah yes, those differences are astounding. Now, what did you do last week?

M: Last week... (I think for a minute. In the whirlwind that is training, it's hard to remember what I ate for lunch, let alone what I did last week, which is an impressive feat considering I eat the same thing every day.) Okay. Last week, I went to Dakar for to see my man. We were married since six years.

T: Oh, wow. Congratulations. May Allah bless you with much happiness.

M: Amen.

And this continued on for another uncomfortable 20 minutes. A skit was also involved in which I had to pretend to be returning a gift that I had bought for my mom because my sister bought the same gift. The "shopkeeper" was relentless and I ended the skit with a grandiose speech: "My mother is not happy. Never will you see me again here for to buy things!"

Yet somehow I achieved Intermediate High, which is one level higher than is needed to pass training. Which means that by the 17th of May I will be installed in Diakhaba and begin the difficult, beautiful process that is Peace Corps.

My dear friends and family, I love you and miss you terribly. Thank you for all your encouragement, I rely on you!

No comments:

Post a Comment